Monday, April 30

Never thought I'd go through with it, but lo and behold I got myself a labret piercing. For those of you who don't know what/where that is, allow me to enlighten you. A big fat needle is used to poke a hole through your skin slightly below your lower lip. It can be placed anywhere really between your lower lip and your chin but the majority are placed close to the middle or closer to the lip (like mine) to allow for more comfortable use of rings (as opposed to studs) later on.

I got mine done on saturday. I went into the studio on my own around 11 and was back home in time for lunch ;)

As for the healing process, so far so good. It seems to be healing up nicely and I've had no signs of infection. There's a bit of swelling but nothing out of the ordinary. Apparently, a piercing in the mouth is the least susceptible to infection thanks to a particular enzyme in your mouth that's very effective in keeping things clean and germ-free :) I rinse twice a day (and after meals) with medical grade mouth wash and wash the stud morning and night with unscented soap. No alcohol for two weeks. No kissing. Basically I have to stay away from other people's bacteria for the duration of the healing. I'm hoping it will have healed by the time I'm off to Spain. They say it takes about 6-8 weeks for it to have properly healed. You can also help it along if you eat minerals and vitamins. I'll be stopping by the drugstore to stock up on those later on today. Wish me luck!

No comments: